The Ultimate Roofing Reminder List for the Homeowner – To Do: A Roof Repair Preparation Checklist
So you have read the first part of our series highlighting the importance of having your roof checked at least twice in a year. Now let’s move on to discuss the things you need to do to prepare your roof for future roof repairs, as well as info on what to do during routine inspections.
Key Reminder: Always Choose a Trusted Roof Repair Company
If you know what’s good for you, skip the DIY work, and let the professionals do what they do best. Aside from ensuring your own safety, there’s a lot to gain from their expertise in roof work.
Preparing for the Roof Repair
Don’t let yourself get caught off guard by sudden necessary repairs. Here are some essential tips to follow:
- Choose the right contractor for the job. Pick someone who’s licensed, bonded, and insured and has a good reputation. Check the Better Business Bureau and ask previous clients about their work. Also have a backup contractors who can work with you if your first choice is unavailable.
- Make sure you are well aware of the full extent of the damage on your roof and the scope of the repair that needs to be done. This way you can properly make the right decisions when coordinating with the contractor during the project.
- Get quotes from at least three companies. You do not have to settle on the first estimate you got. Having more than one estimate can help you properly gauge whether the prices quoted to you are reasonable.
- Set a budget. This is crucial, as you do not want to take on a roof repair project only to realize at the very end that you’ve exceeded your budget. That would be a huge headache for any homeowner.
- Prepare your home. Cover your furniture and picture frames. Move valuables to a safer location. If you have houseplants, bring them outside.
You might also consider looking for a temporary home, especially if the repairs are going to be extensive. Read the last part of this blog series and discover common homeowner mistakes you can avoid during a roof repair.