When looking for roofers to work on your home, you verify their business details, ask for licenses and certifications, and request for references. Once you find the contractor you want to deal with, it’s time to ask for a contract. Why?
Sure, the roofers may have all the qualities you’re looking for, but without a contract, you’re still not protected from unexpected expenses and other problems. To make the most out of your project for your roofing in Newport News VA and keep it on track, make sure to request a detailed contract and understand its terms before signing it.
Here are six things to look for in a contract:
- List and Description of Materials and Procedures – The roof protects your home from the elements, so it’s important that it is composed of durable parts. Additionally, knowing the procedures to be done on your roof will give you an idea if your concern will be addressed effectively.
- Detailed Summary of Fees – This will protect you from unexpected costs, which some roofers may ask of you once the project has started.
- Contractors’ Conduct and Use of Jobsite Facilities – This is especially important if the project will take days or weeks to finish. When both parties know what to expect from each other, misunderstandings can be avoided throughout the course of the project.
- Project Duration and Completion – Knowing when the project will be completed makes it easier to schedule family affairs and succeeding home improvement projects.
- Contract Adjustments – As no one can fully control what will happen, contract adjustments give you and your roofers some wiggle room. Make sure to read the change order rules carefully so you’ll know which procedures or terms can be adjusted.
- Warranty – The responsibilities of your roofer shouldn’t end once the project is over. A warranty ensures that if the material or procedure fails within a specific period, they’ll fix or replace it at no cost to you.
Have a worry-free home improvement project with Newport News roofing experts you can trust, like our team at The Roofing and Remodeling Company.
Founded in 1998, our company offers a range of home improvement services. Our expertise includes repairing and preserving historic buildings and houses. We also specialize in residential and commercial roofing. To learn more about us, call us at (757)-903-0050.