Insulation Tips: How to Make Your Roof More Energy-Efficient
What homeowner would say no to a more energy-efficient home—one that lets you make the most of your investment, reduces your energy consumption, and keeps you comfortable all year round? If your goal is better energy efficiency for your home and household, there are few improvements with as big a payoff as adding insulation to your roof and attic.
Below are some simple tips for insulating your roof:
- When choosing from among the different types of insulation, consider your home design, budget, and climate. The effectiveness of your insulation will depend largely on these factors.
- Choose insulation that will provide more protection per unit volume. Consult your trusted Virginia Beach roofing company to know the R-values of the insulation products they carry.
- Refrain from using your attic as storage. Adding material to your attic floor is an inexpensive way to boost your home’s energy efficiency, but this would be impossible if there’s too much clutter.
- If you plan to DIY your insulation, put on safety gear: disposable paper overalls, gloves, goggles (not safety glasses, as they don’t protect much against dust), and dust mask. This may sound like overkill, but insulation products can cause serious irritation so it’s best to be prepared.*
- Do not to put insulation too close to a recessed light or electrical outlet to minimize fire hazards.
*Note: It’s still best to leave attic and roof insulation to professionals who can do the job more safely and thoroughly. While you may consider yourself pretty handy around the home, a trained contractor will be able to spot potential hazards as well as opportunities for more energy savings.
For more tried-and-tested tips on insulation and home improvement, don’t hesitate to call The Roofing & Remodeling Company, one of the most sought-after roofing companies in Hampton Roads and Virginia Beach. We’ll be happy to assist you.