Roofing work doesn’t come cheap: you might spend anywhere from $500 on simple repairs to $30,000 on an upscale roof replacement. But regardless of project price point, the fact that your roof is such a critical part of your home makes any amount you spend on it an important investment.
Taken at face value, hiring a roofer seems like an easy enough task, but the truth is that it’s just as easy to get things wrong. To leave as little room for error as possible, follow these steps:
- Make sure your candidate has the necessary license to operate within the state. Contractors need a Virginia State Contractor’s License to work on projects that cost more than $1,000, but you’ll want to check this requirement even if you aren’t planning on spending that much.
- Ask for details like company tax identification number, business address and phone number, and other proof of the company’s being a legitimate local business. The last thing you want is to deal with a storm-chaser or fly-by night contractor.
- Ask for insurance certificates. You want proof that they carry both general liability and worker’s compensation insurance for your protection.
- Check reviews and testimonials on both company and third-party websites. This will tell you whether the company can provide satisfactory service and how they go about resolving complaints.
- Ask if the contractor is factory-certified to install the products they carry. This isn’t an absolute requirement, but it indicates a commitment to ongoing training and customer protection.
- Ask for a detailed proposal on the work that needs to be done on your roof. Remember that there is more to a proposal than the bottom line.
- Rinse and repeat for other suitable candidates until you’ve narrowed down your list.
Ultimately, your efforts to find the right Norfolk VA roofing contractor for the job will pay off in topnotch service and a good working relationship with a professional you can count on. To see what prompt, efficient, and high-quality service looks like, contact us at The Roofing & Remodeling Company today. We’ll be more than happy to answer your questions.