7 Hot Trends in Kitchen Remodeling for Virginia Beach Homes
Because the kitchen is the heart of your home, it typically becomes a focal point during holiday gatherings. Unfortunately, large gatherings may also make your kitchen feel cramped, dysfunctional and outdated.
If you find yourself increasingly unhappy with the layout and appearance of your kitchen, winter is a great time to begin kitchen remodeling for your Virginia Beach home. Kitchen remodeling is one of the most popular home improvements, and currently there are several prominent kitchen design trends, according to Houzz, the home design and remodeling website. The site’s 2013 Fall Kitchen Trends study gathered responses from 7,812 homeowners in the U.S. and Canada who are either planning renovations or in the midst of them.
- Bigger isn’t necessarily better. Most respondents indicated a feeling of space in the kitchen is important. 77% said their kitchen will be open to other rooms, and more than 60% said their kitchen will incorporate an island in the layout. Only about one-third said they are enlarging the kitchen area.
- Upgraded countertops are hot. Of those surveyed, 94% are changing their countertops, with granite (50%) and quartz (35%) the most popular choices.
- Stainless appliances rule. Homeowners still favor stainless over other appliance finishes. 65% will incorporate stainless appliances, or combine stainless with other finishes.
- Floors stay natural. Hardwood and tile each claimed about one-third of the flooring material selection, while stone, vinyl, linoleum and other materials lagged far behind.
- Soft spaces. The largest majority (75%) of homeowners are choosing a soft, neutral color palette of whites, beiges and/or grays for their kitchens, as opposed to colorful or dramatic schemes.
- Younger homeowners go contemporary. Nearly half of homeowners age 44 and under described their kitchen remodel as “contemporary” or “modern,” while those 45 and older prefered a more traditional look.
- Eco-friendly matters. Homeowners care about the environment, with nearly half (49%) indicating that their kitchen will incorporate eco-friendly appliances and materials.
By planning now for your kitchen remodel, you’ll be sure to make 2014’s holiday celebrations extra special! If you are uncertain how to get started, The Roofing & Remodeling Company is here to help. We service the entire Hampton Roads and Virginia Peninsula regions, and offer deep experience in kitchen remodeling for Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Norfolk and Newport News homeowners. Give us a call at 757-867-6600 for more info.