5 Roofing Tips Before a Storm Hits
Tools & Tips
We are already over a month into the Atlantic 2017 hurricane season. As some may recall last September, Hurricane Matthew blew through Hampton Roads with a heavy wet roar and has been labeled as one of the strongest and deadliest storms of the 2016 season. Believe it or not, Matthew made it in the top 10, coming in at number 9, as one of the costliest hurricanes on record.
What’s in store for the 2017 hurricane season? Wavy reports, according to National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration forecasters, the Atlantic could see ‘above average’ activity compared to a typical season. There is a 70 percent likelihood for up to 17 named storms with two to four being major hurricanes of Category 3 or higher. With that prediction, there is a definite potential for damages. How much exactly is difficult to know. Best practice is to be prepared and your roof is one of the major elements exposed to hail, wind and rain! Increase your peace of mind and avoid costly damages with the following helpful tips to reinforce your roof before any type of weather phenomenon strikes.
- Inspected your roof regularly. It is recommended you have your roof inspected at least once a year to catch any minor unforeseen damages before they become major, and possibly expensive. Did you know, The Roofing Company offers a courtesy annual inspection to its customers? We understand the benefit of “peace of mind” and keeping our customer in-the-know on the condition of their home is one way we provide that.
- Reinforce Shingles. With hurricanes reaching speeds of over 155 mph, shingles not properly secured are easily susceptible to blowing off and leaving the roof exposed and unprotected. Did you know, the type of shingles installed on your roof can make the difference in a storm? Class 3 or 4 shingles are the best to install because they have been tested and are able to handle strong winds. The Roofing Company also offers other protective measures to reinforcing the roof with the shingles that are already installed.
- Maintain your Trees to Protect Your Property. Remove dead branches from the tree and trim branches within 6 feet of your roof. Did you know, this also helps prevent access for critters into your home? Be especially mindful of trees that stand close enough to fall on your roof when exposed to pouring rain or high winds.
- Evaluate your Attic Insulation and Ventilation. Your roof vents balance the indoor and outdoor temperatures of your attic and help insure proper ventilation. If these are not anchored correctly, large amounts of water can be blown into your attic causing leaks. Did you know, proper ventilation actually makes your shingles last longer?
- Know your Roof Warranty and Insurance Policy. While we can’t stress the importance of this enough, be sure to note your manufacturer warranty policy and your own insurance policy for your roof. This will save you a huge headache when you need it at your fingertips. Did you know, insurance companies view roofs as one of the most important parts of a home because they protect homes from the elements?
The Roofing Company understands the fear that comes into play every time a storm is predicted to strike. With this list, we hope we can help decrease the extent of the possible damage you can incur and protect your home as much as you can your family. To learn more about how we can help you, call us now at (757)-903-0050.